ON THE ROAD FILM FESTIVAL 5th ANNIVERSARY
An itinerant and independent cinema festival, both on the road and borderline
Errant images, displacements and psycho-geographical drifts
Call for Entries and Regulations 2017
Deadlines for submissions
Earlybird 30% off: May 31 2017
Regular Submissions: September 16 2017
“A path is always between two points, but the in-between has taken on all the consistency
and enjoys both an autonomy and a direction of its own” G. Deleuze, F. Guattari, 1987
Based at the DETOUR Arthouse Cinema in downtown Rome since 2010, ON THE ROAD FILM FESTIVAL celebrates its 5th Anniversary this year.
OTRFF program is devoted to contemporary independent cinema of any kind – fiction, documentary and experimental – presenting travelogues, urban and waste-land wanderings, real or imaginary topographies, unexpected detours, psycho-geographical drifts, migration and nomadism.
We look for films that develop, through linguistic and narrative skills, a critical and inventive approach to the subject guidelines of the Festival: a traveling mood with digressions from fixed paths, where the route is what matters, not the destination.
The Festival hosts screenings, master classes, meetings, art exhibitions, live performances and music, both at DETOUR Cinema and at a variety of cinema venues, film clubs, schools, public libraries and other unusual locations in Rome and and in its surrounding area.
Features and Short Films in competition will be screened in November 2017.
CATEGORIES & ENTRY FEES
- The Road. Competitive section for on the road feature films and medium-length films (over 30 minutes) of any genre: narrative films, documentaries, animation, reportage, experimental films, tv shows, episodes of web/tv series, etc.
- ShortCuts. Competitive section for on the road short films on the road of any genre: narrative, documentaries, cartoons, experimental films, musical videos, videoart and videopoetry works, episodes of web/television series… and so on. They don’t have to overrun the time limit of 30 minutes.
In addition to the Competition, the festival offers a taste of international, independent “on the road” cinematography, within two more sections. The works that will not be selected for the contest can be proposed, at the discretion of the selectors and with the consent of the authors, for the two non-competitive sections:
- Off the Map. It focuses on works that depicts a country, a nation or a specific geographic area or cultural/linguistic belonging; selections from other international film festivals and retrospectives are also included.
- Across Borders. Section out of the contest. “on the road” encounters embracing cinema, literature, music and performative arts: screenings with live music score, workshops and master classes, shows for kids, exhibitions, readings and other live performances.
SUBMISSIONS OPTIONS, FEES AND DEADLINES
Deadline for submissions: Earlybird, May 31 2017 | Regular, Sept 16 2017
In order to submit your film, an online entry form must be filled out either on Detour website or, alternatively, on one of the following web-based platforms: Film Freeway, Festhome, Film Festival Life.
Depending on the method chosen for submission, the payment of a registration fee is requested, either by bank transfer or alternatively by paypal service, via external web-based platform. Payments should be made as soon as possible in order to complete your submission. Submissions which have not been paid will not be taken into consideration.
For short films (under 30 minutes) the entry fee is:
3,5 Euros (early-birds rate, until May 31, 2017)
5 Euros (Regular deadline Sept 16, 2017)
For feature films (30 minutes and longer) the entry fee is:
7,5 Euros (early-birds rate until May 31, 2017)
10 Euros (Regular deadline, Sept 16, 2017)
– Submission option 1 – Signing up on Detour Site (Available Soon!)
- An online entry form must be filled by Sept 16, 2017
- A private link to a screener of your film on any online sharing platform (e.g. Vimeo, Youtube, Google Drive etc.) is requested;
- The payment of the entry fee by bank transfer is requested and a proof of payment must be provided at email@example.com within 48 hours of your submission;
Bank Account: DETOUR
IBAN: IT46 K056 9603 2080 0000 5249 X53
Purpose of the payment “OTRFF Entry Fee and Detour Cinema Membership 2017”
Banca Popolare di Sondrio BPS 091 Roma Ag. 8
– Submission option 2 – Signing up either on an external web-based platform
Please follow the link to either of the banners below. To whom is signed on external web sites is not requested to fill out the application form on the Detour web site.
AWARDS AND PRIZES
- Jury Award for the Best Feature Film (>30 min.): Cash Award of 1000€ + DETOUR Plaque Award + one or more scheduled screenings in agreement with the rights owners (we share 40% of the income at the boxoffice excluding taxes and other levies);
- Jury Award for the Best Short Film (<30min.): Cash Award of 500€ + DETOUR Plaque Award + one or more scheduled screenings in agreement with the rights owners;
- Audience Award for both Feature films: DETOUR Laurel Award +1 scheduled screening/event during the 2017-2018 programming season at Detour Cinema (we share 40% of the income at the boxoffice excluding taxes and other levies);
- Audience Award for Short Films: DETOUR Laurel Award + 1 scheduled screening/event during the 2017-2018 programming season at Detour Cinema;
- Selected films may receive additional awards, special mentions or other recognition at the discretion of the Jury, or by our partners and sponsors.
PARTECIPATION TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Submissions are open to everyone: individual authors, film studios and distributors, collectives of artists, communities, voluntary associations, non-profit organizations, NGOs and schools of cinema;
- Only films completed on or after 1st January 2015 are eligible for entry into the 2017 Festival competitions;
OTRFF is run by DETOUR CINEMA, a non-profit organisation supported by volunteers. The festival charges a small entry fee for submissions to cover the costs of processing and handling your film;
The payment of the entry fee by bank transfer is requested and a proof of payment must be provided at firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of your submission (for submitters on cinedetour website only);
Submissions which have not been paid will not be taken into consideration;
It is not possible to refund your entry fee;
- By partecipating in the contest, the submitter automatically acquires the annual memebership to Detour Arthouse Cinema;
- All entries and accompanying materials (photos, short moving images extracts and stills reproduced from them) will be available by OTRFF to promote ongoing and future editions of the festival. OTRFF is hereby granted the right to utilize an excerpt from any film submitted and accepted for exhibition at the Festival for promotional purposes;
Non-Italian speaking films submitted to the Festival must be subtitled in at least one of these languages: Italian, English, French, Spanish. A subtitle file with time codes in a standard format (srt, sub, ass) is requested;
A password protected link to a screener of the film on a video sharing site (e.g. Vimeo) must be provided. In the case that the film is available in downloading only, file formats accepted are: mp4, Mkv, Quicktime mov, mpeg2. The download file size must be less than 2GB;
In the selection process, preference shall be given to world, national and city premieres, unpublished and undistributed films and to more recent works;
Once the selection process will be completed, the list of successful submissions will be available along with additional information on www.cinedetour.it. A free digital exhibition catalogue will soon after be available in a pdf format;
A jury of experts of cinema and visual arts will evaluate the materials and reward the nominated winners. Also the audience will have the chance to vote for the Audience Award winner;
Cash prizes will be awarded in the form of bank transfers, following the subsidies from our private and institutional sponsors. The prizes will be awarded within March 31, 2018. DETOUR Cinema reserves the right (with no exclusive rights and in agreement with the rights owners) to schedule the screenings of the best selected films over the 2017-2018 programming season;
OTRFF is an itinerant cinema festival. Films selected for the contest may be screened at DETOUR Cinema and in other official venues of the festival in Rome and in its surrounding area. The participation in the contest will count as a green light to show the film in any selected location during the festival;
OTRFF and DETOUR cinema will strongly support and promote the best films through their press office , mailing list, social profiles, and on the website www.cinedetour.it;
The individual or corporation submitting the film hereby warrants that it is authorized to commit the film for screening, and understands and accepts these requirements and regulations;
The submission of a film to OTRFF will be considered to be an acknowledgement of the festival rules shall indemnify and hold harmless OTRFF from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney’s fees, and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, screening, and loss of or damage to the screening videos entered;